I procrastinate. Okay, I’m glad that I got that off my chest!
Yes, I know that it’s the elephant in the room for most people. But here’s the issue – I’m known for saying “what happens in the future starts right now when you take Action.
I’m supposed to be Mr. Motivation for others, yet I find myself fighting the same internal battles with myself. Is this because the task is too hard? I doubt it! Is it because the pain isn’t outweighed by the gain? Maybe. Is it because the reward isn’t tangible? Quite likely.
When I talk through the 5 SHUNS™, I tell people that you can obtain raw data from Information, which is useless unless you analyse it.
This delivers your “Aha” moment, which is the Revelation that you receive, which propels you into Action(because it’s very hard to steer a parked car).
Motivation will follow Action (most people get tripped up here by expecting Motivation to precede Action), but you could be waiting a long time for those planets to be aligned or that perfect storm to arrive.
Celebra-SHUN™ is my favourite. I believe that you should celebrate even the smallest win, as that encourages you to find the Motiva-SHUN™ required to keep going.
Here are five thoughts that I gathered when I read Brian
Tracy’s book Eat that Frog!:
-Plan Ahead. It has been found that 10 minutes of planning can save 100 minutes in execution. Use planning time as a tool in helping you to avoid procrastination.
-Accountability Partnerships. Research indicates that about 2% of people can work entirely on their own. If you are one of the remaining 98% of the population, select an accountability partner who can help you set and achieve deadlines and task times for the key tasks you have to complete to achieve your goals.
-Create a “Do NOT Do” List. Tracy calls it “practice creative procrastination,” which is the art of deciding to procrastinate on your low value tasks. Think of this as deliberately deciding to postpone or eliminate these tasks.
-Work to your strengths. A good way to identify your strengths is to ask yourself- “what talents come naturally to me that others can find difficult?” and “what strength do I have that have been most responsible for my success to date?” A great resource to use is Strengths Finder 2.0 by Tom Rath.
Now that you have read this Informa-SHUN™ and have your Revela-SHUN™, make sure that you get into Ac-SHUN™, because what happens in the future starts right now when you take Ac-SHUN™!